Friday, December 21, 2012

Candy Cane Cookies

I have been OVERLOADED with holiday sweets as of late. I feel like i've eaten enough sugar these past few weeks to last me a lifetime. I'm definitely going to need to detox after New Years. However, the holiday season wouldn't be the same without all these sugar filled treasures. One of my favorite is a cookie that I grew up making with my mom, candy cane cookies. They are yummy and best yet they are cute. Perfect for a neighborhood gift, which is exactly what I used them for this year :)

Ingredients:
1/2 C shortening
1/2 C butter, softened
1 C powdered sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp almond flavoring
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 C flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red food coloring
1/2 C crushed peppermint candy (candycanes)
1/2 C sugar

Directions:
1. Cream together the shortening. butter, powdered sugar, egg, and flavorings. Mix the flour and salt together and add to the creamed mixture.

2. Divide the dough in half. With one half mix in the red food coloring and knead well to mix evenly.

3. Roll out 1 small spoonful of each color into a strip about 4 inches long. Place strips side by side. press lightly together and twist like a rope. Put on ungreased baking sheet. Curve top down for the handle of the cane.



4. Bake at 375 for 9 minutes. As soon as you take them out of the oven, sprinkle the peppermint and sugar on top.