Sunday, January 13, 2013

DIY: Coffee Table

This weekend the husband & I put our heads together to update our coffee table. We have had this basic black coffee table from Ikea for a few years now and i've been a bit unhappy with it lately. This update was just what it needed! Here is how we did it:

 

What you need:
wood (enough to cover your table, choose the width you prefer)
wood stain
nails

Directions:
  • Start off measuring & cutting your wood to fit the length/width of your coffee table. I was originally going to pick out wood that was wider, but when I was looking I decided on a smaller width.
LACK Coffee table IKEA Separate shelf for storing magazines, etc. Keeps your things organized and the table top clear.
  • Sand, sand, sand. My good husband spent hours in the garage sanding those boards. 
  • Next, lay out the wood and get staining! We picked out a good rustic brown color, it took 3 coats but it turned out perfecto.

  • Then you are ready to nail! My husband did this part, as I am not handy with tools. He nailed the side boards on first, then lined up the top boards and nailed those on. We picked out black nails that matched the coffee table since they would be seen.
  • Wallah, you have a new fabo coffee table!


I have to say I really like the end result, it turned out just like I was hoping. One of my new years resolutions was to make a DIY project that I was proud of.....Check!