Monday, January 28, 2013

DIY: Growth Stick

Another DIY project was success! I saw a lot of different growth stick projects on Pinterest and was hooked. I remember having a growth stick growing up that my siblings and I shared. I remember how fun it was to get measured on our birthdays and record that on the stick. I wanted to continue that on with my kids. Online, I saw a BUNCH of different ways the growth stick can be done. I didn't really follow any of them, took some of their ideas and combined them with mine.
 
Materials Needed:
Wood Board (can be thin or thick, whatever you want!)
Paint or Wood Stain
Anything else you want to use for embellishments
 
Instructions:
1. Cut your wood board to the height you want. I had my husband saw ours off at 6 feet 5 inches tall. We are both on the taller side of life so you never know how tall our kids will end up being at 18 years old.
2. Sand! Sand your wood to make sure no little fingers get slivers.
3. Paint! I was originally going to stain the wood, using the leftover stain from our DIY coffee table. BUT, I changed my mind and felt that it would be better with a light creamy color. I wanted to keep the colors gender neutral.
4. While that was drying I painted 6 little wood plaques. I initially wanted to get wood number cutouts but couldn't find any in the size I liked. I painted them a dark red brick color.
 
5. Paint the numbers. This part took me the longest because I did it by hand. First sketching them on paper, tracing them on the plaques, then painting the numbers in. This took a lot of concentration!
6. Next, Measure your board and mark off the measurements. I marked off the inches and feet.
7. Glue on the numbers. With wood glue, I carefully glued them on my board. I then placed heavy books on top to make sure they dried evenly and securely.
 
8. To give the growth stick a little more character I sanded the edges here and there to make it look worn.
 
9. Lastly, paint a clear sealer on top.