Thursday, March 21, 2013

DIY: Painting Stripes

Another DIY post today! My life lately has been filled with fix-it-up projects, thus the posts. I picked the colors for my house and new I wanted to redo my son, Beckett's room. I feel like you can be a little more adventurous in kids rooms, so I chose to do one of his walls in stripes. The key to making a stripped wall turn out well is your taping job. Here are the directions.

Materials:
1. Your paint (however many colors you want)
2. Tape (thick tape is going to be easier)
3. Paint brush
4. Paint roller
5. Chalk string

Directions:
1. Prep your wall by cleaning it with a wet rag.
2. Tape the edges. Tape your ceiling, baseboard, and wall edges. Take your time! You want to make sure your tape is straight and your press the tape down firmly, or you will get leaks.
3. Next, decide how thick/thin you want your stripes, measure each side of the wall and make a small mark with a pencil where your stripes will end.
4. Next, get our your string, get chalk on it (these are found at Home Depot). Hold the string from edge to edge of the wall, tightly (you will need 2 people to do this). Once the line is the correct height, pull the string back-it will hit the wall and make a perfectly straight line of chalk. This is SO much easier than trying to do it all with a ruler and pencil.
5. Tape off 1 stripe (press it VERY firmly against the wall to prevent leaks). I had 3 colors, so 3 stripes (cream, red, navy). To make it easier I painted the entire wall cream. Once that was dry I started with step 2. Decide which stripe you want to paint first and tape that off.

6. Paint your first stripe. Go around the edges by the wall with your paintbrush, then go over the entire stripe with a roller. Take your time, you don't want to get paint outside of your tape and have to go back and fix it.
7. Once dry, go back over it, I would do at least 2 coats.
8. Carefully peel off the tape. Re tape your next stripe, taking your time and pressing firmly.
9. Repeat step 6.

10. When all stripes are painted, carefully tape your tape off and VOILA! A beautiful statement wall.