Wednesday, November 14, 2012

No Sew Christmas Tree Skirt

I've been married 3 years now and still haven't gotten a Christmas tree skirt! Growing up my mom had sewn hers and our stockings, so I've been biased ever since. Homemade is always better than store bought! This year I was lucky enough to spot this fab no sew Christmas tree skirt on Pinterest. It looked fool proof enough so I gave it a try.

What You Need:
  • Old tree skirt, or cut your own out of left over fabric
  • Fabric cut into 2 1/2" wide strips (as many different colors as you like, about 3 yards total)
  • Glue gun and LOTS of glue sticks
  • Ribbon to tie the tree skirt together (I made my ties out of the leftover fabric)

Directions:
  • Cut your fabric into strips. I bought 2 colors of fabric, 1 1/2 yards each and I had leftovers.
  • Start on the bottom edge of the opening of the tree skirt with your fabric & glue gun. You will glue the end down and with the rest of the strip you'll fold it over and glue it down as you go, creating little ripples. It's super easy! You keep doing that same thing all the way around.
  • When you get to the next row you can change up your fabric or keep it the same, overlapping it a bit with the first layer. Do this all the way until you get to the top.
  • When you're all done gluing the strips down you will want to cut out all of the little strings that appear from using the glue gun.
  • Glue or sew your ribbon on the opening of the tree skirt.

  • Option: You can sew this whole thing instead of gluing it. It's up to you! Either way will work great.
I really liked the outcome of my tree skirt. However, if I did it again I would have chosen more fabric options than just two. If you end up trying this out, let me know how it goes!